Hey it’s Sunday! my favorite day of the week guess why? FOOD !! Today we will share
How to cook “Rice & Peas with Brown Stew Fish“
Rice and Peas
- ½ lb. Red Peas (Red Kidney Beans)
- 1lb. Rice
- 12 oz. Coconut Milk (not water)
- 1 Stlk. Scallion (Green Onions)
- 2 sprg. Thyme
- 2 tblsp. Salt.
- 1 tblsp. Margarine (optional)
- 1 Qt. Water
Wash peas and remove any foreign matter, if present. Wash scallion and remove only the outer layer.
Add peas and salt to water and boil peas in a 2-quart stock pot until medium soft, on medium heat.
The water will evaporate during the boiling process, so add more warm water to the pot.
Here is the trick to making this rice and peas nice and shelly.
As you may know, rice is usually cooked using a two to one ratio; two equal parts of water to one part of rice, or close to it.
So, add the coconut milk, thyme and scallion to the cooked peas and let this combination boil for about 5 minutes, then taste the pot. Add more salt to taste.
Now estimate the amount of water in the pot to the ratio of the rice you have. Try to get a two to one ratio or as close to it as possible.
Add the rice to the ingredients and stir, using a fork.
Add the margarine to the rice and peas and then reduce to a low heat. Wait until the boiling water in the pot sinks just below the top of the rice.
Wet a piece of cellophane and cover the rice then cover the pot with the pot cover. Simmer until rice is soft and shelly.
Jamaican Brown Stew Fish.
- 2lb. Fish (filleted or not)
- 1 Medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper(chopped)
- 1 tblsp. Salt
- 1 tblsp. Black-pepper
- 1 sprg. Thyme
- 1/4 oz. Mushroom Soy Sauce
- 1/4 oz. Grace Browning
- 2 cl. Garlic
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 10 oz. Water
- 1/4 oz. Ginger Root
There are several different ways to make Jamaica Brown Stew Fish.
This method is commonly used by the people from the southeastern part of Jamaica.
- Wash the fish in a lime juice/water solution. Dry the fish with a paper hand towel or cloth to remove all the juice and water; this will stop any potential hot splashes from the hot oil in the skillet, when the fish in placed into the hot oil later on.
- Rub a pinch of salt and pepper on each piece of fish. Heat the oil in the skillet on high for 2 minutes or so, then turn the heat to medium. Carefully place fish into the oil in the skillet.
- Pan-fry fish until golden brown. During the frying process, do not move the fish around in the skillet because this will cause the pieces of fish to break into small pieces. Its Jamaican Brown Stew Fish you’re making, not fish salad.
- Remove fish from skillet.
- Discard the oil and replace with fresh oil. Sauté the onions, garlic and green bell peppers together. Cover the pot for 1 minute, while the vegetables sizzle.
- Next add water to the vegetables and allow the vegetables to cook for another five minutes.
- Now add the ginger root, mushroom soy sauce, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme and browning.
- Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes, add salt to taste and then add fish to stew and simmer for 3 minutes.
Serve with dumplings, or rice & peas, or white rice, or pasta, yam & banana, or bread.
Option 1: You can use a little white wine in the stew too- just before you add the browning and soy sauce to the pot.
Option 2: You can add bread crumbs to the stew for extra thickness.
Here is a sauce you may like to put on your Brown Stew Fish.